1) NOTHING can prepare you for the intensity of the love you feel for your child.
2) …nor the fiercely protective instincts on their behalf. Grrrrr.
3) Other people’s children are akin to canned peas, while yours are fresh.
4) No one can make you feel more powerless than your own child…
5) …or drive you as quickly to your knees to seek divine intervention.
6) Sleeping through the night and potty training do not necessarily correlate with high intelligence.
7) Because of Children, mothers never catch up on their sleep…the reasons vary but the results don’t.
8) Children help you discover what you value enough to pass on ...
9) ...and force you to consider whether and what you are teaching with the example of your life.
10) Raising a child represents the toughest multiple choice test you will ever face.
11) If certain animal parents knew more about time outs and “hot seats’ they might not eat their young .
12) …discipline, administered firmly but lovingly, prepares kids to live responsibly and thoughtfully with others.
13) It’s impossible to get enough of the way your child feels in your arms...
14) …or the way they look when they sleep...
15) Thanks to children, you realize that you actually do remember much of what your parents taught you..
16) …because it’s right on the tip of your tongue when you need to intervene to stop their behavior...(causing you to use ridiculous phrases you haven't heard for decades)
17) Shared silliness, laughter, games, trips, adventures and gifts of time are the best moments...evaporating all too quickly...(hmmm...or are the best moments when you watch your child grow, change, learn and succeed in truly becoming themselves? )
18) Your IQ will drop precipitously while they are teenagers
19)Miraculously, your stock will soar after they have moved away (or given birth)
20) Friendship with your adult child can be as exhilarating as the initial post-birth exhaustion is debilitating.
© 2010 Rebecca Ann Pelley All Rights Reserved
Dedicated to my sweet girlie, Ellie,to Little Kate and all the little ones who take our breath (and our sleep) away! ;}