Algis Kemezys

June 28
Title
Co-Director
Company
BAK
Bio
Internationally exhibited Photographer/Documentary filmmaker, Sculptor, Dowser, Scrabble enthusiast, Geomancer, Iatromant, gourmet chef

MY RECENT COMMENTS

FEBRUARY 1, 2010 11:44AM

Women Sadhus @ The Maha Kumbh Mela 2010

Rate: 24 Flag

IMG_3847

All I know is that this sadhu is from the Punjab area of India.

The women sadhus at the Maha Kumbh Mela are a small but significant collection of spiritual souls . I have seen them participate in all forms of gatherings that I am allowed to attend and they seem to have all the male sadhus listening with deep respect. Perhaps i could tell you more if I spoke Hindi but alas I am only a friend of this festival.

When I was here twelve years ago there number was still small but they were given choice places in the tent city and revered as they made their way around the festival grounds. Here are a few women that I manage to photograph while making my rounds.

IMG_4888a

Wandering around Rishikesh this sadhu caught my eye as I passed and I returned to ask if I could take her photograph. She seemed rather pleased that I returned and made this portrait.

IMG_3390

IMG_1810

IMG_2154

IMG_2216

IMG_4317

IMG_4346

IMG_1841

IMG_4352

IMG_4482

This sadhu gave me the beads from around her neck  for making her portrait over three separate times. She was very camera shy but liked my manner of getting her to smile. Actually I was acting like Kramer on Seinfeld which has always served me well in India.

IMG_5261

This sadhu might have been one of the leaders of her sect because she was here first making sure the tent and campfire were properly aligned to her wishes.

IMG_5618

IMG_5622

This sadhu wanted to see my palm first before letting me photograph her...I guess I had the right lines there because she was very pleased and put on a good expression after carefully observing my palm.

IMG_5625

IMG_5942

IMG_4311

IMG_4305

This sadhu remembered me from twelve years ago and gave me a good blessing for continuing my journey and endeavors in making these portraits.

IMG_5944

This is a grab shot that I managed to take during the raising of the Kumbh Mela flag. I never saw her again to try to make a better portrait.

IMG_5945

One always wonders what the sadhu is thinking when they barely look at the camera when being photographed.

IMG_6209

I found this sadhu up in Laxman Jhula and she was quite taken that I wanted to make a photograph of her.

IMG_2952

We had become old friends this sadhu and I because I kept running into her every couple of days. It took a long time to get this image to her and she practically gave up on my promises that the image was coming, truly. In the end I gave her two photographs one day after the other and that made her oh so pleased.

IMG_5505

I had photographed this sadhu regularly and she always had a chuckle over my antics in getting a good image. Most of the previous ones had a cluttered background and were unsatisfactory to me. Finally I was at the right place and right time to cepture this clean image of her. I also met her three years previously at the Allahabad Kumbha Mela.

IMG_4500

IMG_2013

This is one of the very few grab shots I made. This woman sadhu caught my eye in her colorful dress, walking down the main street.

IMG_0912

This sadhu never expected to get a photograph of herself because little communication was made at the time of making it. Three days later when I found her she almost cried when I gave her her image. She clutched it with great relish and held it to her heart. This is where giving the photograph back is more rewarding than taking it sometimes.

IMG_2842

IMG_2607

This was a western lady studying yoga in Ran Jhula who stopped and fed the cow while I was trying to photograph the cow  with the view. When she was finished she got up and said "God bless the everloving COW !"

IMG_0732

This was a formidable Mahant. The leader of her group and was always entertaining a lot of guests. She got mad at me once because I slightly cut the top of her turban off a little and refused the image. I left it in the tree branches in which she lived under. It was gone an hour later when I returned .

IMG_0254

This sadhu was with a group of arrivals and she allowed me to take her image because I gave them my bag of roasted peanuts as an welcome to the Mela present. Sadhus always like a quick snack of any kind thats vegetarian.

IMG_0015

IMG_3808

IMG_3809

IMG_3109

I was at a temple after climbing the mountain to Mansa Devi. This little girl would not stop crying out until I came over to take her photograph. Perhaps one day she'll become a Goddess like the one at the temple below.

IMG_4665

To see other images of the Sadhus at the Mela see the first post here:

Your tags:

TIP:

Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!
Recipient's email address:
Personal message (optional):

Your email address:

Comments

Type your comment below:
Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.
I love these, at least as much as the photos of the men. Perhaps more, because the women appear to be a minority among the participants . . . but no less powerful. Thank you for sharing these!
So much beauty and wisdom in those faces. The little one at the end is truly a tiny goddess.
Wow, I could stop looking at these. The eyes have so many layers to them. The colors are magnificent.
Your subjects are so colorful, and their expressions are a fascinating study on their own. Thank you for sharing these, I'd love to learn more if you ever return.
Appreiated and rated
The fact that you give back to them, rather than only making/taking photos of your subjects, is wonderful.

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!

R
An uplifting visual journey . . . thank you for this gift.

-R-
Thanks for your kind and cute comments on my HANDy ideas on lowering your risk of sepsis in the hospital. You have a life that many just dream of- wow! Love your Seinfeld reference. You are a bery bery good man Mr. Kemezys
meant "couldn't" up there...
Algis, Aside from an occasional spurt on OS I was an illustrator for many years. When I taught classes I always told my students to allow their work to tell a story without saying in words. Allow someone to be able to see things you may not always see yourself. You do just that with your photos. Absolutely beautiful work.
It is said that a minute spent sitting with an enlightened being is worth ten thousand meditations alone. If envy were permissible I would envy you. Instead, I look forward to talking with you about what to do with all this wealth you have accumulated.
Oh, the wisdom is these lady's eyes. Like they know the secret of life. Which they might. It can't be the hustle and bustle of America! Great Pics!!
"Come on give me some more attitude. That's right work it. Work it!"
It's such a wonderful experience to look at these photographs and to hear their stories. Thank you.
These are absolutely captivating photos! Thanks for the narrative too. I love how good it makes you feel sometimes when you give them a copy.
Great photos, awesome even and yes, acting like Kramer will get you places most time!! :)

Rated.
These photos are stirring and beautiful thank you so very much for sharing. I wondered if there were woman at the festival. I love the bold colors and the directness in the each gaze. Best to you,
So many different personalities!
I love all of your captions. I wonder what that one sadhu saw in your palm. I love her expression.
All of these individuals are remarkable, but you chose the most amazing photograph of all as the first one. This one together with the sadhu hanging from a tree are prize-winners! You must take your entire collection to National Geographic.
Everything you've done is a treasure. The little girl at the end! You listened to her. How many adults listen well to children? I thank you. She thanks you. All the children in the world who have cried to have adults pay them attention, never to be heard, thank you.
Thanks for connecting after reading my stories on the pilgrimage to the Kumbh Mela, here on Salon. Have you thought about taking a guide in so you can converse with the sadhus? Any impressions from them in the time you've spent thus far? Haridwar is an amazing scene at this time.
Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing.

Dear Cap'n Parrotdead,

Thanks for looking and commenting with Amazing. My last collection is in the works.
Best regards

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:08 PM

Dear Owl_Says_Who

Thanks ever so much for the fine details of your praise.

best regards

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:20 PM

Dear skeletnwmn,

I agree the little girl really had a special charm and persona. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:25 PM

Dear mamoore,

Yes the colors have a curative value that calms the mind and soul being around the people. Thanks for dropping by.

best regards

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:28 PM
Appreiated and rated

Dear FusunA,

Yes you meet sadhus along the way that know just the right teaching for you to help out with keeping a fresh young open mind. Lets keep in touch.

best ever

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:36 PM
Thank you for bringing light to a cloudy day.

Dear Stellaa,

Love making your cloudy day better. Thanks again for the nice words.
Best in the rain too

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:39 PM

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing!

Dear R,

Yes giving back was truely another reward in itself. I gave the best image from the 5 to 8 images that I would make before the spell broke. I felt like the pied piper as well. Even if i got a wheres the other shots you showed me ? I always show the images just taken to the sadhu as well and they all enjoy and want to see the recently taken images. Everyone understands this as well. it's part of the process take the pictures, show them then if they don't work take another before the mood changes.

Thanks again for the c&V

Natalie K. Munden
FEBRUARY 01, 2010 12:40 PM
An uplifting visual journey . . . thank you for this gift.

Dear -R-,

Glad my images turned into a gift for you. I guess it's the magic of the sadhus as well that do this.

Thanks for the C&V
algis

LadyMiko
FEBRUARY 01, 2010 01:11 PM

Dear Dr. Evan Levine,

Yes your words were very important. Thanks for the comment. I am writing a Seinfeld post to expand on that situation.Well, I do what I can.....as Jerry Seinfeld with say.

Thanks again

best

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 01:51 PM
meant "couldn't" up there...

Dear mamoore,

OK and OK.
Thanks again and again.

best regards

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 02:39 PM

Dear ThroughMyEyes,

What a heart felt statement. One always wonders about that but I am glad my modest images have moved you so. My last batch to post soon will be mostly all males but stay tuned please.

Best ever

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 03:17 PM

Dear sagemerlin,

thanks for pointing that out because yes I have always been told this but never put it to words. I messed up on my comment to your latest poem , sorry. Yes, indeed lets talk in the upcoming future. Maybe you could be the poetic forward or amke a collect of poems inspired by images or something ?

thanks again for the so valuable support !!!

best ever x 8

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 03:45 PM

Dear scanner,

Yes the eyes R the windows of the soul and show only a nice calming feeling in one heart of the one looking. Like Particle wave theory in reverse with the images, or is that the same ?

Thanks anyways

best thoughts to you.

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 03:54 PM
"Come on give me some more attitude. That's right work it. Work it!"

Dear Noirville Headinlocker,

I always get a nice chuckle with your name and will try to have what your looking for in my next set of images coming soon. Thanks again and stay tuned.
Snap crackle POP

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 05:08 PM

Dear emma peel,

I was really not sure if those comments added or subtracted from the images but i am satisfied that they work for you.. Thanks again for C&V

Best wishes

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 08:35 PM

Dear grif -,

Yes as I said the deeply pleased faces of the sadhus getting a good image of themselves was really heart felt and great. It was the best part of the whole process now that I think of it. The hardest was making the images because of all the problems with equipment and stray elements around the sadhus. Last batch coming soon.

thanks again and best ever

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 08:44 PM

Dear Rated.

Thanks for the comment and especially for your Seinfeld comment. I am about to post a story about that because it was a major part of the experience. Thanks for dropping bye !

Stay tuned
thanx again

Tinkerertink69
FEBRUARY 01, 2010 09:13 PM

Dear rita shibr,

Thanks for the comment. Hope you saw my images from 12 years ago where I made a number of women sadhu images and posted them at pbase.com Women have something extra and these sadhus always left me feeling blissfully tuned.

best ever

FEBRUARY 01, 2010 09:57 PM
So many different personalities!

Dear JOY MARS,

Wow thanks and thanks again. Your really great with the good words and make me feel proud to have made an impact here. Glad the captions worked as well because I have written these so quickly et el.I basically wish I had far more and have become quite addicted to the whole process.

best thoughts and wishes
FEBRUARY 02, 2010 12:49 AM

Dear SONYA LEA,

Yes everything happens at the right time even Naga Babas who can speak English and give me valuable advice to follow regarding my spiritual growth. My impact has been great and I have made friends with the core groups of Sadhus and feel quite pleased with all the things I learned and shared with them. Esp because they knew I was there twelve years ago and found sadhus I knew from before. Thanks again for the comments and all.

best journey for you as well
best

FEBRUARY 02, 2010 01:42 AM
Algis -- These are incredible photos. Thank you so much! Are you still in India? all good wishes to you.
Dear Leslie,

Thanks for the visit and fine comments. Glad to have made contact again.

Best regards
from India

Algis
Hinduism is very much a part of my life
beautiful beautiful!

you should consider going to Kamakhya Temple in Assam for the Ambubachi Mela. Not nearly as big as Kumbh Mela, but there's about 200,000 people a day for four days, many of them Tantric sadhus encamped at the temple.
Dear Kathy Knechtges,

Thanks for the comment and checking out the images.

best algis
Dear Gourmet Goddess,

Thanks for the interesting tip. Maybe I will, if I can.

best always
Algis
I love this! It's very rare to see images of female Sadhus... thanks!
Whats' NEXT? THE VOTE?!? Release from being 'impure' - from cursing us ALL with their 'original sin'?
Ooops! I almost forgot, were not Judeo-Christians - are we?
Sooooo....bless those Holy WOMEN!
Absolutely the best photographic essay I have ever seen.
rated with love
Algis, this is a travel, history, religion and art work, all in the same story. Gongratulations, you gave as the look on an unknown to most of us civilization!! Rated!!
Fantastic images Algis!