AL MARIAM'S COMMENTARIES
- San Bernardino, California, U.S.A.
- January 18
- California State University, San Bernardino
- Professor Alemayehu G. Mariam teaches political science at California State University, San Bernardino. His teaching areas include American constitutional law, civil rights law, judicial process, American and California state governments, and African politics. He has published two volumes on American constitutional law, including American Constitutional Law: Structures and Process (1994) and American Constitutional Law: Civil Liberties and Civil Rights (1998). He is the Senior Editor of the International Journal of Ethiopian Studies, a leading scholarly journal on Ethiopia. For the last several years, Prof. Mariam has written weekly web commentaries on Ethiopian human rights and African issues that are widely read online. He played a central advocacy role in the passage of H.R. 2003 (Ethiopia Democracy and Accountability Act of 2007) in the House of Representatives in 2007. Prof. Mariam practices in the areas of criminal defense and civil litigation. In 1998, he argued a major case in the California Supreme Court involving the right against self-incrimination in People v. Peevy, 17 Cal. 4th 1184, which helped clarify longstanding Miranda rights issues in criminal procedure in California. For several years, Prof. Mariam had a weekly public channel public affairs television show in Southern California called “In the Public Interest”. Prof. Mariam received his Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1984, and his J.D. from the University of Maryland in 1988.
MY RECENT POSTS
- Crimes Against Womanity:
Marriage by Abduction in
September 16, 2014 01:03PM
- Resolutions for the Ethiopian
September 12, 2014 01:42PM
- DIFRET: The Abduction of a
Film in Ethiopia
September 05, 2014 12:27PM
- The Game of Thrones in
August 26, 2014 03:34PM
- The Long, Long Way to a More
Perfect Union in America
August 22, 2014 12:36AM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “Hi, Ben: Glad to have
you on board!!! Open salon is
place to be.”
March 22, 2012 02:31PM
Al mariam's Links
- MY LINKS
- No links in this category.
The secrecy-obsessed regime in Ethiopia has a huge creepy dragnet of secret electronic surveillance programs to sniff out the deeply-buried secrets of the people of Ethiopia. They spend sleepless n… Read full post »
Semayawi Party in Ethiopia has done it again!
This time it is the young women of Semayawi Party who took to the streets of Addis Ababa during the 5k run held as part of the International Women’s Day celebrations on March 9. They spoke;… Read full post »
Open letter or open pandering to corruption?
“As I look around the EITI implementing countries, I do not accept that the situation for civil society in Ethiopia is worse than a great many of them.” That was the didactic pronouncement of Ms. Claire Short, Chair of the E… Read full post »
Exactly two years ago to the month, I wrote a commentary entitled, “The Dam and the Damned: Gilgel Gibe III Ethiopia” focusing on the impact of “development” in the Omo River Basin (ORB) in southern Ethiop… Read full post »
A court of injustice or a court of cruel joke?
I must confess that I take a bit of perverse pleasure in getting full vindication for my long held view that the regime in Ethiopia runs a kangaroo court system. For years, I have been saying that there is no… Read full post »
Behold the rider of the Black Horse (famine) eyeing Ethiopia once again
I am getting a little jittery over the repeated delays, postponements and all the backpedalling talk about “false evidence” and “lying witnesses” in the Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta International Criminal court trial. I don’t want to say I smell a rat but I fe… Read full post »
The regime in power in Ethiopia today is orchestrating a full-court press demonization and vilification campaign against Atse Menelik II, the Nineteenth Century Ethiopian emperor whose centennial is being celebrated this year (Ethiopian calendar). The campaign is conducted largely throu… Read full post »
Part I: Rise of the Ethiopian Chee-Hippo Generation in 2014
In my first weekly commentary of 2013, I declared that year to be the “Year of Ethiopia’s Cheetah (young) Generation”. It was a great year for Ethiopia’s Cheetahs.
I declare 2014 “Year of Ethiopia’s Chee… Read full post »
Why I support Semayawi party as a political party
In the days leading up to my speech at the first Semayawi (Blue) Party town hall meeting in Arlington, VA, just outside of Washington, D.C., on December 15, I was peppered with all sorts of questions. The one recurrent question revolved… Read full post »
Africa’s Wise Lion and Ethiopia’s Restless Cheetahs—Never give up and keep on trying to build your Beloved Ethiopian Community!
December 15, 2013. It is the saddest day of the year for me. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was finally interred with state honors in Qunu, a small rural vill… Read full post »
The Sinner-Saint who never stopped trying
NelsonRolihlahla Mandela finally finished his long walk to freedom in the last month of the Year 2013.
The sun cast its last rays on the man who lifted South Africa from the darkness of apartheid. Nelson Mandela’s shadow is all we… Read full post »
Over the past decade, hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians have voted with their feet to escape one of the most ruthless and brutal dictatorships in Africa. According to Ethiopia's “Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs”, approximately 200,000 women sought employment abroad in… Read full post »
The Shame of a Nation
I continue to offer commentaries on corruption in Ethiopia to keep publ… Read full post »
Great African leaders have dreams. The rest have nightmares.
Recently, African leaders, at least those at the helm of the African Union and their flunkies, have been reporting endlessly recurring ghastly nightmares of Lady Justice “race hunting” them with scales in one hand… Read full post »