I was inspired to empty my mental clutter box this morning in the hope that capturing and chaining random thoughts to paper would free up some cerebral disc space for other things.
I've realized, recently, that I'm 'forgetting' commitments, leaving The Very Important List behind when I need it the most, 'losing' important items I would generally have safely filed or put away, leaving phones off chargers, keys in weird places, and wet laundry in the washer (for 2 days).
I can't turn a page in any publication, click through random websites, or browse articles without coming to a subject title that includes the new hot word: De-Clutter. So why not? Cleaning out my mental lint might even help me feel a little less lazy when I come to those articles pushing me toward the garage, the hall closet, and my kitchen drawers. Now I can check off the YES box - I am decluttering!
The articles all start with sorting into 'keep', 'trash', 'donate' and 'hold for 6 months'... haha-maybe not that last one. Storage isn't allowed. Okay, here goes...
1) I'm missing coffee in the morning. What if I just bought some instant, made it up and poured it over ice? I'd have to make coffee ice cubes so it wouldn't get watered down...
2) ...those tax papers are still sitting on the table, calling me. I'd better see what today's date is...nothing like a tax sprint.
3) The cat looks peaceful laying in the sun. His cough is getting worse. I'm putting off a vet bill...what if it's serious?
4) I wonder who won that lottery...it's going to really change people's lives...really change. Financial freedom... enough money never to have to think about money. Work would be minding my own business...literally.
5) Those bananas are going bad - again... why do I keep buying bananas? I love a smoothy but not the clean up...it's just one more thing to do. I won't get bananas this week.
5) ...wonder how long N is going to have this job...his mania was on the upswing this week. The pattern, right on time. You can't fix it so stop thinking about it.
6) Trash out tonight... make a collection and get it into the can.
7) I do NOT plan to carry that bag of clothes around one more week. I still love that polkadot dress... it bothers me that I don't fit into it and I feel just as bad seeing it in the back of the closet. Get over to Hubbard House and give that stuff away... just forget about the damn dress.
8) I really thought this extra poundage would come off after starting the thyroid meds, it's been months...why isn't my weight shifting back yet? I wonder...what else is off?
9) I absolutely have to stop putting off looking into some sort of health insurance...
10) So glad I cleaned the kitchen yesterday. Now I don't want to mess it up. I hope there's some no-cook food in the fridge.
11) ...wonder why R hasn't called... she knows we need to talk about the sale price on the house. Usually she's up my back. She's probably irritated with me about... forget it. She'll have to say it herself. Walk away from the drama.
12) ...wonder what L is doing right now... it's 7 am her time. Sleeping still. I keep forgetting to call before bed. Maybe tonight.
13) that box of stuff I swept off the table really must be dealt with... today. There's probably tax stuff in there...
14) I didn't appreciate what a boon an office and a real desk were when it comes to staying organized. This moving shit is killing me. I can't find anything and don't want to start ploughing through all that stuff in the garage. Dread.
15) Thank god I took that huge shred bag to the Shredathon.
16) That strawberry thing on Pinterest would be easy to make, just need to run get some berrries.
17) no...better stay off Pinterest.
18) I need a Pintervention, I saw that somewhere... on Pinterest I think.
19) Why do I keep putting off what needs to be done? It's not easy to keep doing this... it's exhausting actually. I need to put this pen down and get busy...
20) Oh! I recorded Mad Men last night...where's the clicker? I think it's under that tax stuff.
Now I just have to go back and do the trash-donate-keep thing with this list. Maybe I'll just trash it.