Many people seem to be having trouble with embedding a YouTube on Open Salon. When I have attempted to send over the exact coding through email or the internal Open Salon mail system, the HTML coding is stripped out. Then it becomes necessary to create an attachment and hope that the person is using a computer on which the attachment is readable.
In short, it becomes somewhat of a nightmare to assist in having a YouTube video embedded in an Open Salon article. Therefore, this is a step-by-step, highly detailed 'how-to' about placing a YouTube video within an Open Salon article. The video that I will use, as an illustration, is this classic from Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. I believe that this video was from a 1967 appearance in Monterey:
* Open a New Post page and place a title for the article. The title is limited to 60 characters.
* Go to the YouTube page where the video you want to embed is located. In the case of this Simon and Garfunkel video, the URL address is: [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6K8wfyzAJQ
]. Right below the video, there is an "Embed" button. Click on that "Embed" button.
* Directly below the "Embed" button, a small box will appear. It will contain lines of code. For the moment, ignore the code. Directly below the code box are four options. Place a check mark opposite "Use old embed code". All the other boxes should not have check marks. You may notice that the lines in the box containing the code have changed. That is good.
* With the check mark placed opposite "Use old embed code", highlight the lines of code in the box and copy that to your computer's clipboard. In the example that I am using, the code begins in the following manner: < object width= "480" ( I had to put spaces so that it would show up in this post) and goes on. It is necessary to copy every bit of that code and it is not necessary to make any changes.
* Now, go back to the Open Salon New Post page and click the HTML button. That is found in the line directly under where tags are placed for an article. Once the HTML button is clicked, a new window will open. You will see the HTML Source Editor.
* In the HTML Source Editor, find where you want the video to be placed in the article. Once you have found where you want the video placed, move the cursor to that location, in the HTLM Source Editor window. Paste the code that was copied from the YouTube embed box.
* Once the code has been pasted in the specific location in the article, click "Update". This is a button in the lower left hand corner of the HTML Source Editor.
* When you return to your New Post page, you may not see the video. It will depend on the browser that you are using. Take a deep breath and do not panic. Your video will be there. Click "Save Draft and Preview". This is near the bottom right hand corner, below where the text content for an article is entered.
* On the Preview page, the YouTube video should appear. Now there is the option of publishing from that Preview page or returning to do some edits on the article, prior to publishing. The video does not need to be sized. When the article is published, the Open Salon parameters will size the video properly and automatically. The changes may take a few minutes but the video will be sized without any user input. In other words, please leave it alone.
These instructions should be valid no matter what operating system is used or which browser has been used.
Good luck; ... and as Captain James T. Kirk might say, "Standard obit, Mr Sulu - ahead warp one".