It's a beautiful summer day, except it doesn't feel like summer downeast NC. A heavenly cold front has spanked the ghastly century mark temperatures. That and overcast skies are holding the mercury down to about 80° today. It's a great day for a ride and the shiny two-wheeled contraption collecting dust in the corner is begging for a spin. So I take the back way to Homework Central with the lappie snug in its new backpack. And several thoughts remind me that things are different on two wheels. On a bicycle...
- Flats don't seem so flat anymore.
- A ride to your local caffeine dispenser is not just a trip, it's an adventure!
- You fully appreciate the fact that objects are closer than they appear.
- When you haven't ridden in a while, your lowest gear is sometimes barely low enough.
- The swooshy descent is worth the burn.
- I need to ride more.
- It's good to be alive.