A friend of mine posted an "Open Call" of sorts on FaceBook, asking people to enumerate their "most geeky" injuries. She was referring to injuries that happened while people were working with computers and other tech geeky items. I didn't have any of those sorts of injuries to share, but her idea sparked one of my own. Here are four of my most dumbass injuries. Join in the fun if you can relate!
1. When I was a teen gymnast, I did all sorts of terrifying feats of fly-through-the-air with the greatest of ease; never got hurt doing any of them. What was my big gymnastics injury? I dropped a balance beam on my toe while moving it! Got a big, black, bloody swollen toenail.
2. Many years ago, I was getting ready to teach my Sunday school class. Several children were already gathered in the classroom. I decided a trip to the Ladies Room was in order, so, off I went to do my business. As I was standing up from the toilet, I smacked my head against the bottom of the paper towel dispenser. Big cut. Big bump. Much bleeding! I lurched out of the Ladies Room, holding wads of paper towel to my bleeding skull, and told the children, "Don't worry. Head cuts bleed a lot but it's just a cut; I'll be okay." My assistant teacher went to the church secretary's office and returned with a First Aid kit to patch me up. The embarrassing part was telling my students how I'd managed to cut my head in the Ladies Room. I did tell them the truth, though. A Sunday school teacher shouldn't lie!
3. While on vacation at a Catskills cottage with my now ex-husband "Iggy," I discovered that a cockroach had made the trip from Manhattan with us and was crawling up the cottage wall. I took off one of my shoes and attempted to whack the roach with it but, instead, slammed my finger into the wall hard enough to sprain it. I had a VERY fat, erxtremely painful middle finger (yes, I had given that cockroach "The Finger") for the rest of that weekend and about a week afterward.
4. This last one happened just a couple of weeks ago. While preparing to wash my face with Noxzema cleanser, I knocked the jar (a really big jar of Noxzema) off the edge of the bathroom sink and onto my right big toe. It was very badly sprained and, even though I iced it immediately, stayed swollen and painful for a good (well, not so good) week.
By the way...I am totally psyched that Obama won. Also delighted that three more states (Maine, Maryland and Washington) have voted in favor of marriage equaity for same sex couples. In between horrible storms (we've got a Nor'Easter raging as I write; snow in November!) some hopeful news to brighten the darkness. Onward...hopefully without anymore dumbass injuries. Oh. And thanks to my friend Hippolyta for introducing me to the word "dumbass." There are times when, really, no other word suffices.
Blessings and well-wishes as ever,