* Aaliyah and R. Kelly: 5 Months
* Renée Zellweger and Kenny Chesney: 4 Months
* Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock: Slightly Under 4 Months
* Lisa Marie Presley and Nicolas Cage: About 3 Months
* Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: 72 Days
* Drew Barrymore and Jeremy Thomas: 38 Days
* Sinead O’Connor and Barry Herridge, 18 days
* Ali Landry and Mario Lopez: 2 Weeks
* Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman: 9 Days
* Dennis Hopper and Michelle Phillips: 8 Days
* Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: 55 hours
* Zsa Zsa Gabor and Felipe de Alba: 1 Day
* Robin Givens and Svetozar Marinkovic: Less Than a DayAh, yes, “the Sanctity of Marriage.” Do same-gender couples really threaten the institution of marriage? As Thomas de Quincy wrote,
“Marriage had corrupted itself through the facility of divorce and through the consequences of that facility (viz. levity in choosing and fickleness in adhering to the choice) into so exquisite a traffic in selfishness that it could not yield so much as a phantom of sanctity.”
How to preserve the institution of marriage? No-brainer: repeal divorce laws.Well the sanctimonious religious right doesn’t want quite that much sanctity.
The religious right doesn’t really want to preserve “traditional marriage” (which traditionally and historically is a civil business contract entered into without the consent of the chattel/victims and, throughout history, always governed by the state until first made a sacrament in the 11th century long after the Church became the State). They just want to preserve it for themselves and, of course, ditch it (like the philandering, smug, Newt Gingrich) as suits their own selfish needs.
The issue is mother of all red-herrings and not really about marriage at all but really about religion insinuating itself into secular, civil, affairs.
Francois Arouet © 2011