Passing Gas and Other Towns Along the American Highway

••••• GARY • GLADSTONE'S • BLOG •••••

Gary Gladstone

Gary Gladstone
Birthday
July 08
Bio
I was a photojournalist and commercial photographer. (Remember LIFE, LOOK and the Saturday Evening POST?) In the ‘60’s, I was a comedy writer and jazz record producer. (I was good enough to go broke more slowly than the others.) Since the ‘70’s, I have authored eleven books mostly related to or containing photography. My two most recent are general interest works of humor and Americana. Nine years ago, "Passing Gas And Other Towns Along The American Highway" (Ten Speed Press) was published, followed by the sequel, "Reaching Climax And Other Towns Along The American Highway." Collectively, they contain 110 portraits of people who live in absurdly named real towns like Stinking Point, Virginia Dickshooter, Idaho, Tight Squeeze, Virginia, Gas, Kansas and Climax, Minnesota. I wrote daily journals of my experiences visiting these towns, which became the text portion of these picture books. Surprised by reviewer’s unexpected comments on the writing, I gave up the road after 75,000 miles of self-financed travel for a keyboard and began telling true stories. Dipping into my past is a lot like popping into strange towns and discovering funny stories. It’s too much fun to stop. 99% of the stories here are memoir The other 1% is bad grammar or the cat waking on the keyboard. Don’t look for deep meaning in the lead illustrations. The accompanying images are just gratuitous eye candy. All work (photos and text) is © Gary Gladstone and registered in the year it was created.

MY RECENT POSTS

    • Editor’s Pick
    • 16 Ratings
    • 1603 Views
    • 16 Comments

    Surviving Pearl Harbor

    • Editor’s Pick
    • 13 Ratings
    • 1396 Views
    • 20 Comments

    Shaving My Dad

    • Editor’s Pick
    • 13 Ratings
    • 1887 Views
    • 10 Comments

    Numb Struck

    • Editor’s Pick
    • 8 Ratings
    • 2522 Views
    • 7 Comments

    S-E-X On The Rock

    • 8 Ratings
    • 691 Views
    • 8 Comments

    Crybaby

    • 8 Ratings
    • 514 Views
    • 7 Comments
    • 7 Ratings
    • 517 Views
    • 6 Comments

    Murderers

    • 7 Ratings
    • 1031 Views
    • 11 Comments

    Soda Jerk

    • 6 Ratings
    • 510 Views
    • 5 Comments

    He's Dead

    • 6 Ratings
    • 1140 Views
    • 6 Comments
    • 6 Ratings
    • 802 Views
    • 7 Comments

    Getting Shorter

    • 5 Ratings
    • 1325 Views
    • 10 Comments
    • 5 Ratings
    • 1015 Views
    • 6 Comments

    How To Not Vomit: A Love Story

    • 5 Ratings
    • 665 Views
    • 6 Comments

    My Delinquent Dozen

    • 5 Ratings
    • 598 Views
    • 5 Comments

    The Fine Art Of Not Writing

    • 4 Ratings
    • 1367 Views
    • 1 Comments

    Cross-eyed Great Dane

    • 4 Ratings
    • 705 Views
    • 4 Comments

    One Ton Son

    • 4 Ratings
    • 696 Views
    • 5 Comments

    Sleeping With Steve’s Parents

    • 4 Ratings
    • 693 Views
    • 6 Comments

    Leadfoot Mom

    • 3 Ratings
    • 554 Views
    • 0 Comments

    Rose On The Denver Bus

    • 3 Ratings
    • 542 Views
    • 2 Comments

    Loose Change: Robbing The 5 & 10

    • 3 Ratings
    • 530 Views
    • 2 Comments

    One Of Us Is Sweaty

    • 3 Ratings
    • 436 Views
    • 1 Comments

    Hot Date

    • 3 Ratings
    • 531 Views
    • 5 Comments

    Bribing God

    • 3 Ratings
    • 578 Views
    • 4 Comments

    Rea On Top