FYI -- pass on to anyone you think might be a good fit:
Art Director / Senior Designer--SALON
Salon is looking for an innovative, energetic Art Director / Senior Designer to join our small, talented design team and help design new products, new features and support daily production design. Your job will be to work with the editorial, product, engineering and business teams to develop new features for the site and support daily editorial art production for Salon's media properties. The ideal candidate is extremely creative, an experienced and fast-paced designer, a facile coder, a collaborative thinker, and one who can thrive in a demanding real-time media environment. Helps to be a total news fiend! This position is based in San Francisco.
• Interaction Design: define the user model and user interface for new and existing Salon products and features. Gauge the usability of new and existing products, and make constructive suggestions for change
• Visual Design: Create logos and layouts
• Editorial Art Design: select photos, create photo-illustrations and drawings
• Front and Back End Code: Solid grasp of CMS-type programming, with hands on PHP or Perl experience, ability to maintain and develop an organized HTML/CSS vocabulary
• Ad Development: Produce ad products and work them into the site
• Five years experience in all related skills
• Expert skills in HTML, CSS, Photoshop. Solid grasp of CMS-type programming.
• Photo-illustration and drawing skills a plus.
• Demonstrated talent in creative editorial design, typography, photo-illustration and production art.
• Demonstrated experience in designing usable web-based interfaces. Solid background in human-computer interaction, visual design or related field
• Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills.
• Self-starter with proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
• Prior experience with start-up or small company is a plus
• Passion for independent news media
We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits and stock options.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jeanne Carstensen, managing editor, email@example.com