I was watching my pbs station hawking for funding for the NewsHour. I called the 800- number and asked a stoically polite (once she heard my request) volunteer to transcribe my message about how the NewsHour’s media black-out of third party Green candidate Jill Stein, along with other unconscionable propagandizing for the government and the corporate elite, were the reasons I would not be offering my yearly modest donation.
Jill Stein got half a million votes. One out of 300 people voted for Stein’s moral and renewing vision for our country. 299 out of 300 did not!
“Obama fascism” has been endorsed by Democrats who have the nerve to call themselves “progressives.” That word "progressive" now makes me nauseous.
I will continue on as a doomed “liberal” because, let’s face it, in Obamaworld citizens of conscience and pro-activism are doomed. But then again, fascism dooms everyone, ultimately and collectively.
Obama will continue to give shallow and insulting lip service to the middle class and ignore the classes below it, but IN REALITY service ONLY the upper class. His amoral policies will destroy the welfare and survival of U.S. and global citizens as well as the planet itself.
Yes, Romney would have been just as evil.
There were options the faux-“progressives” refused to look for or even at.
So it goes.
The U.S. media is corrupt. The U.S. government is corrupt. Yet that did not motivate the American so-called “progressive” who chose to endorse fascism.
I grasped this consequence before the election. Nevertheless I am now caught within the five stages of grief. There is no escaping this emotional processing for those of us who did what we could to consciousness-raise among our fellows.
I wonder if I can re-generate my spirit and will -- bottom-line, hope -- to continue to communicate my learning and perspective on ongoing events to my own communities. I am wrestling with such a sense of futility and hopelessness.
A Dr. Lawrence Britt is said to have closely examined the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia) and several Latin American regimes and he found 14 defining characteristics common to each. They certainly apply to the present U.S. status quo under Obama.
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread
domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.
5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.
6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.
7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.
9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
I am mourning the tragedy of this country and its doomed future. This election 2012 certainly underscored and revealed a profound soul-lessness and/or unconsciousness of the collective American citizenry.
In my opinion, it wasn’t the Republicans or the Tea Partiers who doomed this country. It was the serious number of faux-”progressives” who enabled and joined a horrifying, amoral matrix and betrayed their awake fellow citizens.