I have been inspired! I’ve not had much time to play with my fabric the last couple of weeks, but I did squeeze in enough time to almost finish this project.
If the name Krawczyk is not familiar, let me introduce you to her. Lynn is a wonderful surface design artist and her work can be seen in magazines including Quilting Arts. I’ve been following her blog for quite a while now. Her major love is printing fabric with thermofax screens. She also will make them for you from your designs or you can purchase hers from her Etsy shop.
Last summer I won her blog giveaway of Print, Design, Compose, her Quilting Arts Workshop.
I’ve watched it numerous times, but until a couple weeks ago that’s all I did. I’ve not had time to play with her surface designs on this CD. However, one of the sections of the video includes her way of using fabric that she has designed. That’s just what I needed – a push to use some of my fabric.
So I took these two gelatin printed fabric from this post
and a piece of my petroglyph-inspired rubbing plates fabric from this post.
Then I cut them up and put them together. I really had no idea whether they would look good together at all.
Then I added some paint. In addition to the white dots, I pumped up the white of the rubbings and also added gold.
I spent some time Sunday evening on the porch stitching. Here is some of the stitching on this piece.
Here it is finished.
Now to mount. Since it is ironed onto felt, I don’t have to finish the edges – Yeah! I painted the canvas to match the turquoise in the piece. I’ve not yet glued it down to the canvas but this gives you an idea of what it will look like.
I’m real happy with the results. I’m going to make two more from similar fabric so I’ll have a series – my first!
A big thank you to Lynn for inspiring me. Check out her blog for some inspiration. And if you are interested in thermofax screen printing, soy wax batik, and freezer paper stencils, check out her video. I am definitely interested in having her make me some thermofax screens when I can decide on my images.
It sure was fun to see this project come together. Stay tuned for the other two pieces in this series.