A friend recently posted his most weep-worthy movie moments, and I realized I don't have that many. But television? Christ, when am I NOT crying?
I know there are others, but I don't watch "Lost" or "Torchwood" so this will have to do. Grab your hankies and give me yours.
23. Taxi: "Alex's Old Buddy." The leash. Dammit.
22. Cheers: "I Do and Adieu". What do you say when you love someone and it's just never meant to be? Sam's "Have a good life" rips my heart out.
21. Freaks and Geeks: "Pick me. Pick me." If you were that kid, and I sure was, you'll want to go cry in your diary.
20. The post 9/11 "I love NY" ad. I STILL cannot get through it.
Other post 9/11 moments that wreck me: Giuliani and the NYC firefighters opening "SNL's" new season. Jon Stewart's brilliant TDS comeback, and "Wish You Were Here" from the "Tribute to Heroes" benefit concert.
19. Veronica Mars: "Leave It to Beaver." If you ever feel like crying for a murderer and rapist, here ya go. "My name is Cassidy!"
18. EBay's "Toy Boat" ad. Shit. His face.
17. Scrubs: Ben's death. Completely manipulative and effective.
16. MASH: I was never much for the show, but Radar announcing Blake's death does it every time.
15. Homicide: Life on the Street: "The Subway." I forgive Vincent D'Onofrio for all the scenery he's ever chewed for this.
14. The Simpsons: "And Maggie Makes Three." Homer's "Do it for her" sign makes me bawl just to think about.
13. Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck's "See you on the other side."
12. Gilmore Girls: Lorelei watching her all grown up Rory sleeping in the finale. You can't get to a mother much more than that.
11. Barney Miller: "The Hero." Chano's solitary breakdown after killing two "hoodlums" is extraordinary.
10. Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video
9. Twilight Zone: "A Passage for Trumpet." Jack Klugman's despair makes this possibly the saddest, sweetest episode of the series.
8. "Brian's Song" The greatest bromance of all time.
7. WKRP in Cincinnatti: "In Concert." The fictional station reacts to the real tragedy at a 1979 Cincinnati Who concert.
6. The X-Files: "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose." It's very funny, which makes Peter Boyle's performance all the more heartbreaking.
5. Visa's Derek Redmond ad.
4. The Office: Christmas special. I don't know what makes me cry most -- Dawn's face when she opens Tim's Christmas present, David's redemptive "Fuck off," or Tim and Dawn's final kiss to the strains of Yaz's "Only You."
3. Sesame Street: Big Bird getting it that Mr. Hooper isn't coming back.
2. Futurama: "Jurassic Bark." Waaaaaah.
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "The Body." Her "Mommy?" gets me, but Anya's speech is the real destroyer.
Other great Buffy moments that get the waterworks going: Oz's departure, "Becoming," Tara's death, and Buffy's breakup with Spike. "I'm sorry, William." And honorary Joss Whedon mention to Angel's "You're Welcome" and Firefly's "The Message."