1) My father was a falling-down drunk who quit drinking when I was three months old (so I was told), and he never touched a drop of alcohol after that, even though he spent years working as a bartender.
2) My mother was a registered nurse all of her working life. She once told me that she always tried to make sure that none of her patients ever died alone. She died alone in a nursing home, about eight hours after I visited with her.
3) I am a fourth-generation Oregonian. (There are only two places in the world -- Oregon and Not-Oregon.)
4) I lived in communes for six years.
5) I hitchhiked across the country twice; I saw my first firefly while camped out next to a freeway in Arkansas.
6) I have killed crab and gutted salmon in canneries on Kodiak Island, Alaska.
7) I play flamenco guitar at the amateur level.
8) I have a friend I've known for 46 years, who is also an OS member.
9) I love religion, but don't believe.
10) Dogs like me a lot, and most people like me somewhat. I like dogs a lot, and most people somewhat.
11) I have never met anyone famous.
12) I have a vast amount of family history material, and no children to pass it on to.
13) I keep a journal in which I rehash the same questions over and over again, never making any progress.
14) I have read the unabridged Les Miserables twice, which I love, and Moby Dick once, which I hated.
15) The daughter of some close friends died in Africa while working in the Peace Corps several years ago, and I still think about her every day.
16) One of my friends is a Salvadoran refugee who fled to the U.S. after both of his parents were murdered by the Salvadoran military. His mother's body was badly mutiliated, and his father's body was never found. For years he didn't know why they were killed, but discovered a few years ago that they were involved with labor unions.
17) I speak conversational Spanish, some German, and a few phrases of Korean, Japanese, Amharic, Russian, Romanian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Mien, Turkish, Chinese, Latin, Hebrew, and Arabic.
18) I have never been outside of the United States, except for brief trips to Canada and Mexico.
19) I can remember the Quadratic Formula, but can't remember to take out the trash on Tuesday.
20) I am extremely allergic to goat's milk, but not to cheese made from goat's milk.
21) I am extremely interested in process improvement, but often end up working for people who aren't.
22) I love to hear young people talk about their educational and career plans.
23) I feel sad most of the time, but am not depressed.
24) I always leave a nice tip in restaurants, even if the service or food aren't good.
25) I am constantly amazed by how much I don't know, and never will know. I am occasionally mistaken.