Wasicun is a term that I use fairly frequently. I had it pointed out to me today that people don't know why I use the term in question. I will explain why I use it after I explain what the word in question, and its close relative "Wasichu" mean.
Wasicun is a Lakota word that loosely translates to "white people". It is typically used as a descriptive for people with pale skin who are of European ancestry. It can also be used to describe people, regardless of color, who are espousing ideas which *originate* in white culture.
Wasicun is also used as a curse. When used as a curse it indicates something which is detrimental, regardless of the person espousing the idea in question.
Wasichu is a Lakota word meaning "White Chief" and is typically used when referring to politicians, regardless of the color of their skin.
The word "ska" also means white but is used as a descriptor for animals, rocks, etc... "Hanyewi" *also* loosely means "white" but it also can mean "moon" and "spirit" so it is typically not used to indicate the color.
(As an aside... the word "sapa" means black. The word "Paha" means "sacred mountains" so when I refer to the "Paha Sapa" what I am saying is "Sacred Black Mountains"... which most people refer to as "the Black Hills". )
Because there are two meanings for the word Wasicun when I use it as an expletive, I specify that I am using it as an expletive.
Now that we have the language lesson under control...
One of the most racist and ignorant things that can be said to someone who is Lakota is "Sioux". "Sioux" is a French rendering of the Ojibwa word for "treacherous snakes." "Indians" is the mistaken identity Christopher Columbus gave us when he journeyed to America in 1492 and believed that he had "found" India. I am not an "Indian", I am not a "Sioux". I am Lakota. "Lakota" means "Alliance of friends."
There is a 517 year history that tells me that the likelihood that something which originates with the majority of America is going to be harmful is extremely high. There are very few non-indigenous Americans that I trust as far as I can throw them. My lack of trust is not based on any type of racism but rather on the history involved.
I trust neither Wasicun nor Wasichu. History tells me that the only outcome possible if I trust is death.
99% of the time I use the term Wasicun to remind myself that it is not beneficial to trust the "average American". The other 1% of the time I specify that I am using it as a curse/expletive. What I have never explained is that *for me* using it as an expletive is worse than calling a woman a "c*nt" or calling someone a "mother f*cker".