Make A Memory Box or Memory Card: A Great Recycle Craft That Turns Yesterdays Memories Into a Fabulous Gift That Lives on Forever
The Memory Box
If your wondering what special thing you can do for someone you love this Christmas that can be meaningful and fun to make, try a memory box or card.
Whether it be a sister, parent or best friend, a memory gift will be a keeper.
Memory Box Directions:
- Use a store bought or recycled box in any shape. Here we bought a heart shaped box since this was an anniversary gift for Mom and Dad.
- Cover it in paint or cloth or both. *This one has a painted bottom and cloth covered top.
- We added 3 knobs to the bottom for feet
- Adorn it with momentos and ornamentation. *This one has antique ribbons and trim. Old buttons from Mom's favorite dress, her old hanky found in a purse, Dad's dog tags and firemans badge, a key from their first house and other tokens found in their drawers along with photos we photocopied.
- Why not add old greeting cards, ornaments from service uniforms, wedding invitations, and jewelry parts
- For a child's box you can use certificates, name beads, small toys or prize ribbons, a coin for the year they were born
- For a friend use momentos from trips together, tickets from nights out and fill with photos of good times.
- You can leave the box empty for the recipient to fill, put in a gift certificate for them to make a new memory or fill it with old photos.
The Memory Card
If a memory box is overwhelming make a simple memory card ! Or make both and give them together.
The Memory Card Directions:
- As the base get some nice paper at the craft or art store. Here we used a parchment for an old world feel.
- As an alternate make your own paper from recycled papers. Use one of the paper making recipes found on Planetpals.com
- Adorn it much the same as the box. using buttons, beads, ribbons, doilies, photos, cards, recipes, whatever conveys your message. This one was for a fiftieth wedding anniversary. We used photocopies of old valentines, old photos, yarn and more.
- Ideas and Other Options
- Use ideas listed under memory box for a tailor made card
- You can frame it for an added touch
- Insert a ticket to a special event
- Give it with a memory box
Happy memory giving!