- San Diego, California, USA
- August 24
- San Diego Tax Fighters
- Biography of Richard Rider
(Updated July, 2011)
San Diego, CA 92131
* AGE: 66
* EDUCATION: B.A. Economics, University of North Carolina, 1968
* MILITARY SERVICE: Commander, Supply Corps, U. S. Naval Reserve, retired after 26 years (four years active, the rest in the reserve).
** OCCUPATION: Retired stockbroker and financial planner. Lifetime member of the International Association of Financial Planners. Former business owner.
• Chairman, San Diego Tax Fighters
• National Taxpayers Union
• Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association
• San Diego County Taxpayers Association
* POLITICAL ACTIVITIES:
• Successfully sued the county of San Diego (Rider vs. County of San Diego) to force a rollback of an illegal 1/2-cent jails sales tax, a precedent that saved California taxpayers over fourteen billion dollars, including $3.5 billion for San Diego taxpayers.
• Actively supported a variety of tax-cutting ballot initiatives including Proposition 13. Has written ballot arguments against numerous county and state tax increase initiatives.
• County co-chair of both California term limit initiatives (Prop 140 and Prop 164).
• Libertarian Party candidate for governor in 1994.
• Candidate for the 3rd District County Supervisor in 1992 (third place among six candidates with about 20% of the vote).
• 1993 – appointed to (and then elected chair of) the San Diego County Social Services Advisory Board.
• 1996 – appointed as a Commissioner on the California Constitution Revision Commission by state Assembly Speaker Kurt Pringle.
• Has been involved in legal actions against City of San Diego to force a public vote on issuing bonds for Qualcomm stadium expansion, convention center, baseball ballpark and other projects.
• 2005 – Unsuccessful candidate for Mayor of San Diego, though his reform ideas have since taken hold.
• 2007 – Columnist for NORTH COUNTY TIMES and SAN DIEGO DAILY TRANSCRIPT
• 2009 - The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association's "California Tax Fighter of the Year"
* FAMILY: Married. Wife, Diane, is a retired public high school teacher. Two sons, ages 32 and 27.
MY RECENT POSTS
- Looks like I'm done with Open
September 21, 2012 06:08PM
- Dismal federal fiscal facts to
September 17, 2012 10:19AM
- Ballotpedia.org: Great source
on elections -- or not.
September 15, 2012 11:39AM
- Proof that I'm a racist
(according to braying
September 02, 2012 01:08PM
- Minimum wage keeps teens out
August 31, 2012 03:33PM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “The funny part is that
true believers continue to
April 24, 2011 01:55PM
- “We should never forget
that Next 10 was one of the
(if not the
February 20, 2011 02:42PM
- “Excellent idea, Bob.
Indeed, I've been hyping the
August 12, 2010 04:58PM
- “Thanks for the "comment"
guidance. Can one go back
September 24, 2009 11:19AM
- “As I said before Robin,
I don't do one-on-one
September 24, 2009 10:51AM
Richard Rider's Links
- MY LINKS
Oddly enough, not true. &nb… Read full post »
It appears that one of the Left's superstars has moccasin feet of clay. Professor Elizabeth Warren's scholarship is shoddy at best. And evidence mounts that she claimed bogus "American Indian" status to gain affirmative action advantages.
Amazingly, she uses her unsubstanti… Read full post »
Here's the latest update to my "Breaking Bad" California fact sheet.
8th straight year
WEDNESDAY, MAY 02, 2012
Ask yourself this question -- What would the MSM be reporting if gas prices steadily continued to INCREASE during this past month, even if only by the same 2%? Would not we be… Read full post »
One common labor union objection to defined contribution pension plans (401-k plans) is that the administration costs are "1%-3%" annually. They assert that it's much less expensive to let CalPERS or other "experts" manage a huge pooled account.
And indeed that high 1-3% individu… Read full post »
If You Talk Honestly About Race
by Thomas Sowell
Recently by Thomas Sowell: Who Is 'Racist'?
Around this time of year, I sometimes hear from parents who have been appalled to learn that the child they sent away to college to become educated h… Read full post »
This story simply CAN'T be true. It damn sure SHOULDN'T be true. Yet the Goldwater Institute -- a highly respected Arizona free market think tank -- is litigating the issue in federal court.
To summarize, after huge forest fires and then monsoon rains that caused major mudslides, the town… Read full post »
EXCERPT: Nearly 4 million more people have left the Golden State in the last two decades than have come from other states.
In the last few days a story has emerged concerning the Bank of America terminating all dealings with their existing corporate customer because the company -- horrors! -- manufactures firearms.
Naturally gun owners are… Read full post »
For me, the "wedge issue" that could reverse the dreary GOP appeal to minorities is school choice. It's something I've championed for decades.
No single measure could better help minorities than offering everyone options to seek better educational choices for their kids. Democrat… Read full post »
Recently CA State Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher was absent from a vote on a crucial measure with major potential negative impacts on charter cities throughout the state. The Democrat-controlled legislature wants to make it practically impossible for any California city to ban Project Labor Agreem… Read full post »
This little-known story of three Texas counties that set up
their OWN unique and highly successful social security plan (a
brief option that has since gone away) deserves widespread
publicity. Years ago I wrote about this, but frankly had
forgotten about their instructive experience.
Bel… Read full post »
How to turn a $500 donation into a major “media buy”
by Richard Rider
Everyone loves firefighters. Especially me. Volunteer firefighters are my heroes.
But recently the San Diego media hyped a story of San Diego firefighter charity that is rather odd – odd because it's repo… Read full post »
EXCERPT: Last May, when construction on the Sunrise Powerlink, San Diego Gas & Electric Co.'s high-capacity transmission line, was still in its early stages, a pair of finches built a nest in the headlight of a $5,000-a-day earthmover ---- and idled the vehicle for 40 days.
San Diego Tax Fighters
Voice: (858) 530-3027
Monday, 2 April, 2012
Press Release – Authored by Richard Rider
California “Tax Freedom Day” IMPROVES – sorta, kinda
Today the Tax Foundation released its annual computation of “Tax Freedom Day” for the nat… Read full post »
I just got a disturbing communication from a knowledgeable acquaintance -- concerning the dangers of e-filing one's tax returns. And it's not what you'd think.
Most people worry about the SECURITY of electronic filing. From what I've read, it does seem to be safe from identity thi… Read full post »
I get his daily emailed comment -- you should too!
No, NOT 1%. Zero point one percent.
THE WALL ST JOURNAL — 21 March, 2012
The Bottom 0.1%
The Buffett rule yields a pittance.
There goes the Buffett rule. Reme… Read full post »
A few days ago I posted a controversial blog item on the tragic death of Trayvon Martin up on SDRostra and other web sites -- and on my Facebook page. I rhetorically asked why the left was silent about the FAR bigger homicide threat to black kids -- other blacks. Here… Read full post »
NOTE: In January I had a NORTH COUNTY TIMES column published concerning the Kim Kardashian tax flap. I posted a shorter version up on my Facebook page and this blog.
But here I'm posting the expanded NC TIMES version, updated to include today's Jerry Brown revised tax proposal. &nb… Read full post »
Richard Rider's Favorites
- No relations made yet.