Most people have sweet tooths. They like a little ice cream or some kind of sweet baked good. My dad's favorite snack is M&Ms. Somtimes he'll dump a bunch into a small amount of peanut butter and eat it with a spoon.
But not me. I have savory taste buds. Our family's schedule is a little backward with me working days and my husband working nights. I often stay up later than I should just to get 30 minutes of alone time with him.
All that time from when The Girl goes to bed to when he gets home, makes me a little snacky. I don't typically snack on the normal stuff like potato chips and popcorn, though I've been to include them in a late night snack.
So tonight I wait for husband to get home, and while I'm watching an inspirational episode of Iron Chef America (they are cooking with olives tonight), here is a list of my favorite late night snacks, starting with what I'm snacking on now:
* Pita chips with a small cup of spinach-artichoke-jalapano dip. This dip is so awesome mixed with a little garlic and dill. Simply Naked pita chips are the best, hands down.
* Cheese quesadilla with corn tortillas and whatever kind of cheese is in the fridge. Feta, tomato and olives are great; or sharp cheddar and a meat, like shredded chicken or a thin slice of ham or deli turkey.
* Mini nachos with the works, salsa and a dollop of sour cream mixed with taco seasoning.
* Apples and peanut butter. Doesn't get much simpler than that, though celery is good too.
* Shrimp scampi. Yes, you read correctly: shrimp scampi. I crave this easy-to-whip-up dish when I'm PMSing. Husband kindly makes it for me sometimes when he gets home at 11 p.m. Four to eight shrimp is a perfect late night portion tossed with olive oil, garlic, chives, white wine and a touch of butter. Yum yum yummy yum.
* Taquitos. I buy them at Costco, they rock. I only need two or three with a dollop of sour cream mixed with taco seasoning and some hot sauce.
* Bowl of fresh strawberries in milk, sprinkled with sugar.
* Small bowl of purple grapes mixed into cottage cheese. Weird combo, I know. But the tart skin of the grape, the sweet flesh of the grape and texture of the cottage cheese is really satisfying and quite filling.
* Refried beans mixed with scrambled eggs and a flour tortilla. I grew up on beans 'n' eggs for breakfast. My mom and sister love it too.
* Slice of Swiss cheese topped with a slice of dill pickle and a dollop of mustard on top. The flavors of this slittle stack are surprisingly awesome.
* Columbus hard salami and a good crusty bread spred thinly with mayo.
That's all I can think of right now. It really just depends on what I've got in my fridge at 11 p.m., and I try to make the most of it!