If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.
(Deuteronomy 22: 28-29)
Whether most Christians know it or not, Christian orthodoxy is chock-full of some uncommonly nasty misogyny and that matters at the moment because as the clock ticks inexorably toward national and state elections in November, all manner of self-styled Christian zealots have taken to playing the values card from their faith decks to stir up some vicarious zeal among otherwise uninspired voters. As a result, women, y’all haven’t been so put upon since the Lord himself spake unto Eve saying, “I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.” (Genesis 3:16)
It baffles me that there still exists any such demographic as the female Christian vote. Consider just the following citations and tell me, honestly, do they represent a set of values any right-thinking modern woman ought to get behind?
- “Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.” (Genesis 19:8)
- “And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the manservants do.” (Exodus 21:7)
- “If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days . . . But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks.” (Leviticus 12:2-5)
- “And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver.” (Leviticus 27:6)
- “When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.” (Deuteronomy 21:10-13)
It’s not my place to judge, but were I choosing whose values I wanted represented in my country’s policy-making seats, I don’t think I’d choose anyone whose avowed beliefs render me less than fully human. But what do I know? I’m not a woman . . . and by any real sense of the word, neither is this bitch.