- Ottawa, Canada
- December 15
- Greetings! I am a terminal music fan who will be writing about my life as a concertgoer from 1975 to the present. It’s about the music but also about the lives lived along with it. Many entries will feature a scan of the original ticket as well as a recollection of each gig as a whole experience rather than simply being a description of the performance. Therefore, this blog will be a mixture of memoir, concert review, music history, and philosophical musing. Concurrently, I will be writing about shows that I am seeing in the present.
Thanks to Cublet for artwork assistance. **** I’m on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
mylifeinconcert) ... and have just launched a YouTube channel, VATV (www.youtube.com/mylifeinconcert). I also re/cross-post on my stand-alone blog (mylifeinconcert.wordpress.com). Non-OS members who wish to comment can do so over at that site. ***** email@example.com
MY RECENT POSTS
- (Get) Lucky '13: My Musical
Faves & Re/Discoveries of 2013
January 13, 2014 09:40PM
- VariousArtists' 12 Days of
Christmas Viewing (Xmas #7)
December 04, 2013 09:59PM
- I Believe In Father Christmas,
or: Brown Shoes Don't Make It
November 22, 2013 12:25AM
- Christmas Advertising: LIFE
Magazine, Nov. 30, 1959
November 24, 2013 04:59PM
- I Need A Fix: Beatles' White
Album @ 45/"I Buy White
November 22, 2013 12:23AM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “I’d often wondered
how much of this story
March 13, 2014 10:56PM
- “Poor Jiminy Grillon!
(that's what I called him when
tutor was trying
March 11, 2014 09:45PM
- “I collect vintage LIFE
magazines AND any vintage
with gay themes,
February 27, 2014 10:18PM
- “Midnight Cowboy, The 400
Blows, and Repulsion: 3
February 27, 2014 10:00PM
- “"Just because you've
learned to play the ukulele
you need to
February 23, 2014 04:24AM
- The 2010s
- The 1990s and 2000s
- The 1980s
- The 1970s
After a colossally bad 2012, it was more like Lucky ‘13 for me this past year. Cublet and I did have a few challenges but, hey, life’s never perfect. Overall it was far more chuckles than cheerless even if/… Read full post »
Turn on, tune in, and drop ... onto the sofa in front of that TV: the annual Clausfest… Read full post »
Me during the winter of 1969-1970.
Two years ago, Open Salon had an open call soliciting folks to share their tales about how they discovered that Santa Claus was indeed a sham. I was too busy during that and the previous xmas season/… Read full post »
Just look at that radiant smile! And it's all because of (find out below) ...
NOTE: I'll be taking a breather from the My Life — In Concert! series for December to make way for three or four Christmas-themed entries to come in the the next few… Read full post »
My original copy from 1968. I've never known why this was unnumbered as I am pretty positive it is from the first run. Either I am mistaken or the individual numbering was solely in the UK & US. (All scans and photos on this page by VA.) … Read full post »
"Between thought and expression lies… Read full post »
177. We Rule the School: Belle & Sebastian, Saturday
July 6, 2013, Ottawa Bluesfest, LeBreton Flats, Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada, $19.50 (as part of 10-day pass)
This year's much-used Ottawa Bluesfest full fest passes featuring their mascot, Leadbelly. He waved at me on Day One.&n… Read full post »
176. Lightning: Ottawa Jazz Festival 2013 with David Byrne & St. Vincent, Sunday June 23 / Wynton Marsalis and Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, Saturday June 29, Confederation Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, $165.00 for a (largely wasted) Festival Pass
My wristband for the 2013 Ottawa Ja… Read full post »
Yes, it was pricey. Yes, it was worth it.
He’s a sportsman and a shepherd,
He’s a lazy bastard living in a suit&rd… Read full post »
Howdy to those of you on both Open Salon and WordPress ... I’ve had another OS/WP absence owing to a few reasons: life stuff, some needed household re-arranging, and a spell of writer’s block. I was also having too much damn hot fun in the summertime as/… Read full post »
174. Walk Like A Giant: Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Patti Smith, Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday November 24, 2012, $73.11.
You can never be sure which iteration of “Neil Young” you’re going to get when… Read full post »
022c. Let’s Dance: David Bowie with Rough Trade, CNE Stadium, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Saturday September 3, 1983, $22.50
Ten years on from my hearing "Space Oddity," I finally get to see and hear Bowie live during the Serious Moonlight tour.
After a break of several months — which
included the temporary collapse of Open Salon — I’m
returning to writing and to the My Life
— In Concert! series. But first,
my annual recap ...
Rarely have I been so happy to put a year/… Read full post »
Flaunt the Imperfection: Cracks In Our Marriage On Our 3rd (or 14th?) Anniversary
Our rings on our wedding day. (Photo by Claude Wauthier)
I don’t know why I did it. I truly don’t. What was I thinking? It was a ridiculous, reckless thing to do. And/… Read full post »
173. Hold On Me: Esperanza Spalding with Gretchen Parlato, Toronto Jazz Festival, Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Thursday June 28, 2012, $48.25.
This was one hot show, in both good and bad senses.It was less than one week after experiencing the brilliant Janelle Mon&a… Read full post »
172. Locked Inside: Janelle Monáe with Roman GianArthur and the David Mott Quintet, Ottawa Jazz Festival, Confederation Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday June 23, 2012, $49.
Locked inside, in the great outdoors.
It was the perfect summer afternoon and ev… Read full post »
The route from London to Mosport Speedway (Google Maps).For Out On A Limb’s Open Call for Reposts, I am republishing the final section of my four-part piece about the Heatwave festival in August 1980. While it was one of the best festivals I've ever attended, thi… Read full post »
021. Dangerous Acquaintances: Marianne Faithfull, Fryfogle’s, London, Ontario, August 15, 1983, $12.50
Marianne comes to town on a steamy August Monday evening. It was a night of thigh-slappin' rythms, contented smiles ... and dangerous acquaintances.
Marianne Fa… Read full post »
It's been A Hard Year's Night ... (Thanks to Cublet for the photos of Thurston and I).
020b. Waiting In Vain: 20 Performances I Missed, 1980-2011
XTC at Centennial Hall, London, Ontario, Monday November 24, 1980. Too bad the show never happened (Thanks to MZ for the scan of her handbill).
You’ve got the warm ticket in your hot little hands, anticipation… Read full post »
020a. You Won’t See Me: 20 Acts I Wish I’d Seen
(Top 20 Colour Cube by VA)
For those of you who go out to see live music, you know that part of going to shows is not going to shows. Concerts are cancelled, plans change, unforseen events present themselves,… Read full post »
056. Stoned Soul Picnic: Laura Nyro, Music Hall Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Saturday July 15, 1989, $17.50
A night of reverie.