- Ottawa, Canada
- December 15
- Greetings! I am a terminal music fan who will be writing about my life as a concertgoer from 1975 to the present. It’s about the music but also about the lives lived along with it. Many entries will feature a scan of the original ticket as well as a recollection of each gig as a whole experience rather than simply being a description of the performance. Therefore, this blog will be a mixture of memoir, concert review, music history, and philosophical musing. Concurrently, I will be writing about shows that I am seeing in the present.
Thanks to Cublet for artwork assistance. **** I’m on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
mylifeinconcert) ... and have just launched a YouTube channel, VATV (www.youtube.com/mylifeinconcert). I also re/cross-post on my stand-alone blog (mylifeinconcert.wordpress.com). Non-OS members who wish to comment can do so over at that site. ***** email@example.com
MY RECENT POSTS
- VA's KARAOKE: Proceed With
August 16, 2014 09:35PM
- Four & (Hopefully) More: My
Fourth Blogiversary on OS
June 01, 2014 03:27PM
- June 1, 1974: Eno, Cale, Nico,
Ayers — 40th Anniversary
May 31, 2014 11:19PM
- My Life — In Concert!
178a.OBF'13:Black Keys, Neko
September 17, 2013 09:39PM
- My Life — In Concert!
024.Psychic TV ... & NYC, 1983
March 14, 2014 08:55PM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “Abra: Just seeing this
comment now ... LMAO! It is
regret that I
September 15, 2014 11:42PM
- “Create an email address,
put it in your bio, and you'll
out. For me, I
September 14, 2014 12:43PM
- “While I am undoubtedly
interested in this story both
as a fan
and as someone
September 14, 2014 12:20PM
- “For me, when looking at
the personal politics at work
artists from bygone
September 13, 2014 12:54PM
- “Sadly, people seem to
glom onto simplistic
reductions of a
September 13, 2014 12:47PM
- The 2010s
- The 1990s and 2000s
- The 1980s
- The 1970s
"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve.
NOTE: I’ve been off OS for another periodic pause. More is coming, but in the interim I’m throwing this silly quickie out there. Mind you, it d… Read full post »
While I’m a fan of both recorded music and live performances, I’m not frequently overly enamored with the results of their intersection: the live album. More often than not, they are merely contract fillers, between-project marketplace bookmarks or l… Read full post »
178a. Magic Chords: Ottawa Bluesfest 2013 (Pt. 1) with The Black Keys, Sharon Van Etten, Femi Kuti, Neko Case, Bahamas, and more, July 4-6, LeBreton Flats, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
"Summer's here and the time is right for ..."
The Black Keys, Femi Kuti
Thursday July 4, 2013
For… Read full post »
024. Discopravity: Psychic TV, Danceteria, New York City, New York, November 17, 1983. $n/a
NOTE: While this second of a two-part entry covers Psychic TV’s gig at Danceteria (part one included… Read full post »
023. Back Against the Wall: Circle Jerks, Reggae Lounge, New York City, New York, November 16, 1983, $ n/a
Ethel & Fred Mertz (Vivian Vance & William Frawley) in a still from an I Love Lucy postcard that I bought while in NYC. The physical exuberance depicted… Read full post »
After a colossally bad 2012, it was more like Lucky ‘13 for me this past year. Cublet and I did have a few challenges but, hey, life’s never perfect. Overall it was far more chuckles than cheerless even if/… Read full post »
Turn on, tune in, and drop ... onto the sofa in front of that TV: the annual Clausfest… Read full post »
Me during the winter of 1969-1970.
Two years ago, Open Salon had an open call soliciting folks to share their tales about how they discovered that Santa Claus was indeed a sham. I was too busy during that and the previous xmas season/… Read full post »
Just look at that radiant smile! And it's all because of (find out below) ...
NOTE: I'll be taking a breather from the My Life — In Concert! series for December to make way for three or four Christmas-themed entries to come in the the next few… Read full post »
My original copy from 1968. I've never known why this was unnumbered as I am pretty positive it is from the first run. Either I am mistaken or the individual numbering was solely in the UK & US. (All scans and photos on this page by VA.) … Read full post »
"Between thought and expression lies… Read full post »
177. We Rule the School: Belle & Sebastian, Saturday
July 6, 2013, Ottawa Bluesfest, LeBreton Flats, Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada, $19.50 (as part of 10-day pass)
This year's much-used Ottawa Bluesfest full fest passes featuring their mascot, Leadbelly. He waved at me on Day One.&n… Read full post »
176. Lightning: Ottawa Jazz Festival 2013 with David Byrne & St. Vincent, Sunday June 23 / Wynton Marsalis and Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, Saturday June 29, Confederation Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, $165.00 for a (largely wasted) Festival Pass
My wristband for the 2013 Ottawa Ja… Read full post »
Yes, it was pricey. Yes, it was worth it.
He’s a sportsman and a shepherd,
He’s a lazy bastard living in a suit&rd… Read full post »
Howdy to those of you on both Open Salon and WordPress ... I’ve had another OS/WP absence owing to a few reasons: life stuff, some needed household re-arranging, and a spell of writer’s block. I was also having too much damn hot fun in the summertime as/… Read full post »
174. Walk Like A Giant: Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Patti Smith, Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday November 24, 2012, $73.11.
You can never be sure which iteration of “Neil Young” you’re going to get when… Read full post »
022c. Let’s Dance: David Bowie with Rough Trade, CNE Stadium, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Saturday September 3, 1983, $22.50
Ten years on from my hearing "Space Oddity," I finally get to see and hear Bowie live during the Serious Moonlight tour.
After a break of several months — which
included the temporary collapse of Open Salon — I’m
returning to writing and to the My Life
— In Concert! series. But first,
my annual recap ...
Rarely have I been so happy to put a year/… Read full post »
Flaunt the Imperfection: Cracks In Our Marriage On Our 3rd (or 14th?) Anniversary
Our rings on our wedding day. (Photo by Claude Wauthier)
I don’t know why I did it. I truly don’t. What was I thinking? It was a ridiculous, reckless thing to do. And/… Read full post »
173. Hold On Me: Esperanza Spalding with Gretchen Parlato, Toronto Jazz Festival, Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Thursday June 28, 2012, $48.25.
This was one hot show, in both good and bad senses.It was less than one week after experiencing the brilliant Janelle Mon&a… Read full post »
172. Locked Inside: Janelle Monáe with Roman GianArthur and the David Mott Quintet, Ottawa Jazz Festival, Confederation Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday June 23, 2012, $49.
Locked inside, in the great outdoors.
It was the perfect summer afternoon and ev… Read full post »