hi all. as I mentioned recently Ive collected bazillions of links on misc political topics over many months & was ready to post while open salon was down. one topic Ive covered in this blog since its inception is Drones. the complex and polarizing issue has really spiralled in a short amt of time. when the future of warfare is written, a large chapter will talk about drones.
this is a very fast moving field, I collect links obsessively-at-times and I can barely keep track. it would be cool if someone created a web site dedicated to the subject.
drones were started under bush and slowly perfected in a short amt of time. its a key case study in the concept of "mission creep". drones were initially used for surveillance and the military gave assurances that this would be their major purpose. but to the warmongering militarists of the country, drones were a wet dream. its a dark collusion of different interests.
they're a vivid, visceral manifestation and realization of the War machine in physical, material form. they were quickly tested based on the ability for "payloads". one of those neutral, sanitized term for BOMBS. bombs, bombs, bombs. you know, like in that song that mccain sang once about iran!
so, as a software engr who has dabbled in robotics over the years, Ive got strong mixed feelings on this. the concept of drones, believe it or not, actually originates with Tesla. he talked about using robotic or remote controlled systems for warfare. but it was a sort of Strangelovian dream. it was once thought that terrible weaponry might lead to peace.
oh yes, the wonders of technology! but it appears that technology is like a funhouse mirror at times, it only reveals our own distorted nature. peace through weaponry is a mad delusion. einstein the great pacifist pointed out emphatically
but isnt that concept at the very heart or essence of the War on Terror?
* * *
we know in our lives from the history of nuclear weaponry that terrible weaponry only leads to living nightmares. drones are the latest manifestation of this living nightmare, born in humanity's collective unconsciousness, now playing out before our (mostly sleepy) eyes. in the so called "theatre" of war. yes, what a drama!
so some dreams come true, and be careful what you wish for, you might get it.
we have the worlds most sophisticated aeronautic and robotic/control systems ever devised in human history, the pinpoint of a spear that literally involves *millions* of secret workers in government-- designed to vaporize human life like a video game. its the ultimate in Asymmetric Warfare. drones, not terrorists, are the true Asymmetric weaponry.
how can we consciously function when our government is based on a deadly, delusional contradiction?
so you know my point of view, and I dont want to dwell on it too much.
I collected these links mainly for the public, not so much for myself. every single hit on this web page is a small drop in the bucket. I cant boil the ocean, but I can walk along the beach and pick up stranded starfish, and throw them back in the water. every person who reads this post, and comes to new understanding and awareness, is like a point of light, or a neuron in the global brain. that global brain thinks, at times, dark, crazy, mad thoughts. it can be steered gradually toward enlightment, toward balance & harmony, toward peace.
maybe humans cannot always find their way to the truth, but google can find its way to this article, and lead the way to forerunners in compassion and reform.
it is difficult to time posts like this for me. I wanted to write this maybe last summer. I try to time my posts to current events. Ive been waiting for drones to become a large issue, and blow up in the face of the country, eg via some international incident. my main guess was that somebody politically elite would be blown up by a drone accidentally, or some other international incident. so far, that galvanizing moment has not come. however, at least there were major protests at the Brennan confirmation very recently. a rare moment in the years of public tolerance, indifference, and apathy.
however, there have been some blips in awareness over the last year. the election brought the issue to the forefront. it seemed that even the right wing might have been edgy about obama's use of drones. last summer the NYT did an outstanding article that raised a lot of awareness, showing how much effect the media can have on driving the discussion.
the NYT article seemed almost to be an "official leak". obama is caught at the heart of this contradiction in our country. he has powerful instincts for transparency, but it gets distorted in a strange way in meeting the us Warmachine. he seems to believe that he can codify an "official playbook" for drone strikes and by getting personally involved, the accountability of the project is increased. it is made systematic and sanitized. he believes he has made a genuine contribution. well congratualations on that my friend!
but [newsflash] ... I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this ... please dont shoot the messenger ...
think about that concept. repeat that mantra. its not part of being a liberal, its not part of being compassionate. its part of being human.
obama seems not to be caught in this moral dimension of his "procedures". he is infected by the military delusion and contradiction of sanitized killing, that it is an effective instrument of foreign policy, that somehow every "insurgent" killed brings the US govt closer to its foreign objectives.
even dissidents in the military are starting to point out that reality is not matching the theory.
the theory is Strangelovian at heart, at heart a depraved delusion. we are caught between a rock and a hard place, described quite vividly by that dispassionate guru-hero of WWII, Churchill
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." —Winston Churchill
the question is, how long will we continue to stumble over the truth, and when will the hurrying off-elsewhere cease and all the other possibilities be exhausted? we do not seem yet on the verge of this.
the brainwashed, deluded govt insiders would tell me after reading this that this is a simplistic analysis of world forces and dynamics, that in reality, "its complicated". sort of like facebook relationships. if drones had a page on facebook, they would have many, many Friends. friends in the defense companies, friends in government, friends in foreign governments. a dark alliance of sinister interests converging on frankenstein technology.
so drones were an issue in the election to a minor degree. it never made it much into television debates, but it sprang up in the media to some degree. a small glimmer of light in the darkness. next, we have the latest Brennan confirmation proceedings for the CIA position.
Brennan is being portrayed as the master of drones, and a guy you can trust, who expertly balances humanity with precision killing, who kills in a law-respecting manner.
hmmmm, would that be sort of like a human guillotine or gas chamber?
the guillotine was invented in the french revolution by a doctor who wanted to see a more humane method of executions, after noticing how human executioners often made errors in making a clean cut on the chopping block.
oh yes indeed, isnt techology all about "correcting errors"? there must be a more sanitary, better way. it seems after the long sweep of history, we Americans have finally arrived at it. it might be called, the Nirvana of Execution.
the military is now making vague promises that drones will never be Fully Autonomous [in selecting or firing on targets, or whatever] as that technology is just now on the horizon. yeah right. we have already crossed so many boundaries, its hard to keep track any more, it makes me dizzy. its like tofflers Future Shock compressed over the space of just a few years. or is that the point? just the future cannot be forecasted exactly, but for a somewhat plausible and likely picture, all we have to do is remember two words....
I must say, on reading & organizing this material, I now find it staggering all in one place and one view. theres been a massive explosion in the use of drones, it seems some critical threshold, some critical mass has been exceeded. it seems to have developed a new momentum, and hit and extraordinary tipping point. we seem to have literally entered a Point of No Return.
there are excellent front-page level articles in NYT, Rolling Stone, Esquire, Mother Jones, the Nation. this is not a left or a right issue. it is an American issue. it made huge headlines last summer as Obama's very direct role was revealed, and congress reacted angrily. it seems to have reached a whole new level and scale of reality. drones are being used increasingly in the US with 63 bases identified.
for the first time drones tracked and killed an american citizen, Awlacki, and his 16 yr old son.
there is ominous, alarming spread of the technology internationally and domestically.
I fear for the future of drones, and the future of this country which is now highly intertwined with this invention that only seems to become more diabolical with each passing year, month, day.
I am one of the greatest adherents and proponents of scifi and technological advance, and it its a massive tragedy of humanity to witness the incredible sophistication of research and development channeled into drones. what if this energy was used for good rather than nefarious purposes? we face issues like climate change, and energy depletion. but it seems the worlds greatest minds are working and focused on even better & more efficient ways to vaporize designated-terrorists.
maybe someday this will be recognized as a crime of humanity on the level of the historic ones we study in textbooks. but apparently, not anytime soon.
its just it seems that more and more the Dark Side is becoming ever close to a Death Star.
* * *
now, this will be overwhelming to you too I realize. so maybe just bookmark this post and come back. or pass on the link to a friend, or post it somewhere else. if you're interested, try starting with one of the overview articles. maybe you can just scan the link titles, or maybe just in a single section. to help organize it as usual, Ive put it into sections. [please dont ask me how long all this took!]. heres a quick survey of the sections.
- overviews by some of the foremost experts, analysts, reporters, journalists, and writers on the subject, some who have spent years on the subject.
- pakistan, frayed diplomacy, protests. of course the main use of drones is in pakistan it appears, and our diplomatic relations with that country were stretched to the breaking point and even led to a temporary cessation, but it proved to be only a brief hiatus. its caused demonstrations and near civil unrest in the country, protests by officials in high levels of government. our policy has been revealed as increasingly indiscriminate and targeting large groups.
- international spread. increasingly drones are being showed at sales shows for other countries to buy them, and the Warmachine corporations are eager to rake in new revenue streams. its said that the foreign use is declining in focus in some articles, but that smells like near propaganda to me. it is possible it is not as much of a growth area. and what happens when hostile countries get their hands on this technology? it seems only a blink of the eye away. new use/spread of drones in somalia, libya, yemen & elsewhere (even against phillipines guerillas).
- domestic spread/surveillance. there is an amazing speed of developments here. the FAA is involved in regulations, and initially it was thought to be strict and highly regulated, but it appears that drones are already being flown routinely in the US in major areas and there are 63 bases in the US. they're mainly being used for surveillance, but its happened without much public notice or legislative debate.
- obamas direct role. revealed for the first time by the NYT article that came out last summer and a new book. previously obama was not known to play such a direct role as selecting and approving targets, almost weekly. the NYT article was eye opening and alarming in many ways. it became something of an election issue and a near-front-page issue. it seems both the left and the right wings have a lot of shock at this new information. here, strangely, obamas instinct for transparency and accountability has manifested in a dystopian vision and which has caused much blowback/backlash so far. at this point it hasnt led to a crisis in the presidency, but it feels like it could be just on the edge of that possibility.
- reports, coverup, and propaganda. the govts statements about how often civilians are killed are misleading, inaccurate, or just plain propaganda. there is little independent reporting on the subject, although finally some independent groups are doing analysis and reports, and there are some drone-related lawsuits to try to get information and details or reel in the government.
- resistance and blowback aka "karma". this section is about worldwide resistance and anger, such as over children victims of drones, calls for arrest of CIA legal chief, etcetera. Pakistan outright ordered the CIA to halt drone strikes, and it sparked a large protest. its described blandly and innocously in one article as a "feud". also, some public protests such as comments on an Amazon page for a toy drone. international human rights groups are protesting.
- pilots. new detailed information on the psychological toll on pilots, and that theres a huge demand for new pilots. hey, in a down economy, you could strike a new "dark" bargain.
- increase/budget. the use of drones is increasing, budgets are increasing, huge expansion of the CIA paramilitary element. this aint your father's CIA. its a major element of Pentagon spending, its a major element of its strategy. but also leading to massive waste as eg $3B in drones were thrown away. and thats just the case we heard about.
- hacking & viruses. it was discovered a virus infected one of the operational control centers in the Air Force by Wired magazine, and the Air Force initially denied the infection but later confirmed it. also its been found that drones can be hacked into in some demonstrations, and Iran downed a drone, possibly by hacking ito it.
- advances & future. as I mentioned, there is increasing possibility of autonomous drones on the horizon that make targeting decisions on their own. the US Military has given some weak assurances by most-unnamed officials that this will never happen, but one is reminded of vague assurances years ago that their main use was surveillance. the technology is getting cheaper and proliferating. an evil Moores law, anyone?
- awlacki & americans. some few articles on how awlacki, an american citizen, and his son, were assassinated.
- policy "debate". there is supposedly some strong debate and pushback in congress over the use of drones, obamas kill list, etcetera. one wonders how much of this is genuine outrage or a sort of political ploy by congress only to react to the degree that the american public reacts to the increasingly startling news.
- editorial/commentary. here is where it might be even more depressing than previous content to read, but in many ways, is the most important. what does all this say about us as americans? what is the end result of all this? what direction are we going? who are we becoming? is it ethical, moral, sensible, reasonable, rational? more maybe, something else?
- America's permanent robot war | Tom Engelhardt | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
- Nick Turse: A Drone-Eat-Drone World
- Terminator Planet: How America Became an Empire of Drones | | AlterNet
- The Drone Zone - NYTimes.com
- Everything You Need to Know About Drones - The Daily Beast
- Josh Begley Tweets Entire History of U.S. Drone Attacks - The Daily Beast
- The Secret Lives of Killer American Drones | Mother Jones
- Predator: The Fascinating, Twisted History of the Drone | World | AlterNet
- The Rise of the Killer Drones: How America Goes to War in Secret | Politics News | Rolling Stone
- Plan for hunting terrorists signals U.S. intends to keep adding names to kill lists - The Washington Post
- CIA ordered to halt drone operations by Pakistan
- CIA has suspended drone attacks in Pakistan, U.S. officials say - latimes.com
- Pakistan: Drone Strikes Are Violations Of Sovereignty
- Drones killed hundreds of civilians in Pakistan — RT
- Drone strikes in Pakistan have killed many civilians, study says - Los Angeles Times
- » Pakistan Interior Minister: 80% Killed By Drones Are Innocents Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- Hina Rabbani Khar, Pakistan Foreign Minister: Drones Are Top Cause Of Anti-Americanism
- A Former Ambassador to Pakistan Speaks Out - The Daily Beast
- CIA Drones Kill Large Groups Without Knowing Who They Are | Danger Room | Wired.com
- U.S. Conducts Deadly Drone Strike on Militants in Pakistan - NYTimes.com
- U.S. Tightens Drone Rules for Its Pakistan Attacks - WSJ.com
- US Drones Killing Children in Pakistan: One Reporter's Story | | AlterNet
- Obama admits use of drones in Pakistan - Americas - World - The Independent
- U.S. Accused of Using Drones to Target Rescue Workers and Funerals in Pakistan
- US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan – and the west stays silent | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
- U.S. Drone Strikes Are Said to Target Rescuers - NYTimes.com
- US drones attack Pakistan targets for third successive day | World news | The Guardian
- BBC News - Pakistani civilian victims vent anger over US drones
- Drone strikes in Pakistan kill dozens — RT
- Drone strikes are back: US and Pakistan fighting over extrajudicial murders — RT
- Drones at Issue as Pakistan Tries to Mend U.S. Ties - NYTimes.com
- 6 Strikes, 8 Days, 35 Dead: The U.S. Drone War in Pakistan Is Back | Danger Room | Wired.com
- US selling combat drones to undisclosed countries — RT
- Global race on to match U.S. drone capabilities - The Washington Post
- Are Drones Creating a New Global Arms Race? - ABC News
- Can Killer Drones Be Turned on America? 50 Countries Are Trying to Get Their Hands on Military Drone Technology -- What Will They Do With It? | World | AlterNet
- Under Obama, an emerging global apparatus for drone killing - The Washington Post
- America’s Secret Empire of Drone Bases: Its Full Extent Revealed for the First Time | World | AlterNet
- Remote U.S. base at core of secret operations - The Washington Post
- U.S. Flying Armed Drones Over Libya: Gates
- US drones bombed Libya more than Pakistan — RT
- CIA Preparing Secret Drone Strikes in Yemen - FoxNews.com
- Steve Clemons: What Happens When They Get Drones?
- Iraq Is Angered by U.S. Drones Patrolling Its Skies - NYTimes.com
- Secret bases, hi-tech spy planes as US expands Africa intel — RT
- US drone industry: Open for business at home and abroad — RT
- US Military Wants Drones in South America, But Why? | Danger Room | Wired.com
- U.S. Military Wants More Drones In Latin America
- Revealed: 64 Drone Bases on American Soil | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Buzzblog: Who's flying drones in U.S.? ... EFF sues government to find out
- » New Documents Show Military Is Flying Drones Throughout US Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- » The Future Expansion of Unmanned Drones Over The U.S. Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- At America's Biggest Drone Show, the Focus Shifts Toward Domestic Skies | Popular Science
- Boston Review — Joseph Nevins: Robocop - Drones at Home
- Robert Friedman: When the Drones Come Home to Roost
- Drones could patrol in U.S., FAA says - National - NewsObserver.com
- Drones With an Eye on the Public Cleared to Fly - NYTimes.com
- FAA Documents Raise Questions About Safety of Drones in U.S. Airspace | Threat Level | Wired.com
- Is there a drone in your neighbourhood? Rise of killer spy planes exposed after FAA is forced to reveal 63 launch sites across U.S. | Mail Online
- DHS Pumping Money into Drones for Domestic Surveillance, Hunting Immigrants and Seizing Pot | | AlterNet
- Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress - Washington Times
- Senate bill aims to crack down on domestic drone surveillance | Ars Technica
- Dade Cops Waiting To Get Crime Fighting Drone Airborne « CBS Miami
- U.S. Drones Are Now Sniffing Mexican Drugs | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Predator drones have yet to prove their worth on border - Los Angeles Times
- Local cops used Predator drone to arrest North Dakota farm family for 'stealing 6 cows' | Mail Online
- Spy drone could have almost brought down a plane in Colorado — RT
- Americans oppose using drones to catch speeders, poll finds – USATODAY.com
- » Air Force Document: Drones Can Be Used To Spy On Americans Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- Oops! Air Force Drones Can Now (Accidentally) Spy on You | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Navy Loses Giant Drone in Maryland Crash | Danger Room | Wired.com
- US Navy drone crashes in Maryland — RT
- Obama, America's Assassin-in-Chief | World | AlterNet
- Too Much Power for a President - NYTimes.com
- The Dark Side Of The Obama White House
- The Lethal Presidency of Barack Obama, by Tom Junod - Esquire
- Secret ‘Kill List’ Tests Obama’s Principles - NYTimes.com
- Obama's Kill List: Silence Is Not an Option | The Nation
- How Obama Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Drone - The Daily Beast
- Drones: How Obama Learned to Kill - The Daily Beast
- Congress Wants to See Obama's "License to Kill" | Mother Jones
- Charles Krauthammer: Barack Obama: Drone warrior
- Drone Killings, Cyber Attacks, War on Whistleblowers: Does Obama Think He Is Above the Law? | Civil Liberties | AlterNet
- Drone wars and state secrecy – how Barack Obama became a hardliner | World news | The Observer
- 7 Key Moments in Daniel Klaidman’s ‘Kill or Capture’ About Obama’s Drone War - The Daily Beast
- Open Channel - U.S. official acknowledges drone strikes, says civilian deaths 'exceedingly rare'
- It's Time to Challenge the Propaganda Regarding Who is Killed by U. S. Drones | Alternet
- First the 'targeted killing' campaign, then the targeted propaganda campaign | Jameel Jaffer and Nathan Wessler | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
- Civilian Deaths From US Drone Attacks Much Higher Than Reported
- When U.S. drones kill civilians, Yemen’s government tries to conceal it - The Washington Post
- Drones’ new weapon: P.R. - Salon.com
- How CNN Analyst Peter Bergen is Misleading the Public On Killer Drones | Alternet
- Touchy subject: Pakistani filmmaker denied US visa — RT
- C.I.A. Claim of No Civilian Deaths From Drones Is Disputed - NYTimes.com
- CIA Refuses to Confirm or Deny Drone Attacks Obama Brags About | Threat Level | Wired.com
- Living Under Drones
- Living Under Drones -- Chilling First-Hand Testimony of Escalating Drone Attacks by the US | Alternet
- Cover-Up of Civilian Drone Deaths Revealed by New Evidence
- » Obama Moves To Conceal Drone Death Figures Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- Drones and Cyberattacks Renew Debate Over Secrecy - NYTimes.com
- Obama Finally Talks Drone War, But It's Almost Impossible to Believe Him | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Campaigners seek arrest of former CIA legal chief over Pakistan drone attacks | World news | The Guardian
- Pratap Chatterjee: The CIA's Unaccountable Drone War Claims Another 16-year-old Casualty
- I Met a 16-Year-Old Kid. 3 Days Later Obama Killed Him | World | AlterNet
- Glenn Greenwald: There Is Nothing Brave About Murdering Innocents by Remote Control | World | AlterNet
- John Brennan Hearing Mobbed By Anti-Drone Protesters Denouncing 'Assassination' (VIDEO)
- Drone strike killed Americans — RT
- Pakistan Tells CIA to Halt Drone Strikes - WSJ.com
- Deadly drone raid sparks Pakistan protest
- Pakistan Tells U.S. It Must Sharply Cut C.I.A. Activities - NYTimes.com
- An Inside Look at the U.S.-Pakistan Feud Over Drones - TIME
- Amazon Users Pen Sarcastic Drone 'Reviews' For Children's Unmanned Aircraft Toy
- » Amazon Page For Toy Drone Becomes Protest Sounding Board Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
- Drone strikes in Yemen: US expert warns of anti-western sentiment | World news | guardian.co.uk
- Iran Warns Afghanistan to Stop U.S. Drone Flights - NYTimes.com
- Living in the Path of Drones | Alternet
- Drone Pilots, Waiting for a Kill Shot 7,000 Miles Away - NYTimes.com
- Daniel Klaidman on the Mind of a Drone Strike Operator - The Daily Beast
- Pain Continues after War for American Drone Pilot - SPIEGEL ONLINE
- Portrait of a Drone Killer: ‘I Have a Duty, and I Execute My Duty’ « LewRockwell.com Blog
- US Needs Another 600 Humans to Fly Its Robot Planes | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Drone pilots on the edge of collapse — RT
- Drone U. rides flight boom - Washington Times
- CIA shifts focus to killing targets - The Washington Post
- Investigation Finds U.S. Military Drones Have Flown Close to 3 Million Hours | World | AlterNet
- Pentagon's new budget: Rise of the machines — RT
- 'Gray Eagle' Drone Fails All the Time, But Army Still Wants More | Danger Room | Wired.com
- UK to double number of drones in Afghanistan | World news | The Guardian
- 4th Predator B drone added to Ariz. fleet
- A 'Kill List' on Steroids: Obama Administration Expands Drone Assassinations to Wage 'Permanent War' | Alternet
- Air Force Buys Fewer Drones -- But Ups Drone Flights | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Air Force abandons $3 billion worth of drones — RT
- Drone Hijacking? That's Just the Start of GPS Troubles | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Texas college hacks drone in front of DHS — RT
- Is this the downed U.S. stealth drone? Iranian TV airs footage of military officials inspecting craft | Mail Online
- The Drone That Fell From the Sky: What a Busted Robot Airplane Tells Us About the American Empire in 2012 and Beyond | World | AlterNet
- Computer virus hits US Predator and Reaper drone fleet
- Air Force Insists: Drone Cockpit Virus Just a ‘Nuisance’ | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Get Hacked, Don’t Tell: Drone Base Didn’t Report Virus | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Computer virus found at U.S. drone base a “nuisance,” not “operational threat,” U.S. Air Force says | The Envoy - Yahoo! News
- Debka: Whoever hacked the drone, hacked the CIA — RT
- Faster, higher, deadlier: US plans nuclear drones — RT
- Taranis: Britain's deadly superdrone that even picks its own targets | Mail Online
- A future for drones: automated killing - The Washington Post
- The Rise of Killer Drones That Can Think for Themselves | | AlterNet
- Army Tracking Plan: Drones That Never Forget a Face | Danger Room | Wired.com
- New Armed Stealth Drone Heads to Afghanistan (And Maybe Iran, Too) | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Marines in Afghanistan Execute the World's First Cargo Resupply with an Unmanned Helicopter | Popular Science
- X-47B 'stealth drone' hoped to be first carrier-borne unmanned aircraft | Mail Online
- DHS looking for vendors to perform ‘remote sensing’ airborne photography | Government Security News
- Will Your Future Be Full of Robot Assassins and Spy Aircraft? | News & Politics | AlterNet
- War With Friends: Pentagon Eyes a Drone App Store | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Apple Rejects App That Tracks U.S. Drone Strikes | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Military turns to ESPN to help analyze drone footage
- The Extrajudicial Drone Murder of US Citizen Anwar al-Awlaki | | AlterNet
- The Administration Really Doesn't Want to Talk About the Drone That Killed an American Citizen - National - The Atlantic Wire
- ACLU sues US over extrajudicial killings of Americans — RT
- Former Intel Chief: Call Off The Drone War (And Maybe the Whole War on Terror) | Danger Room | Wired.com
- UN expert: Drone attacks may be illegal - World news - South and Central Asia - Pakistan - msnbc.com
- Drone strikes threaten 50 years of international law, says UN rapporteur | World news | guardian.co.uk
- How the Drone Warfare Industry Took Over Our Congress | News & Politics | AlterNet
- Congress outraged by the secrecy behind Obama's drone war — RT
- Senators ask Obama for legal basis for targeted killings of Americans — RT
- US Congressmen demand justification for drone strikes – The Express Tribune
- The risks of the C.I.A.’s Predator drones : The New Yorker
- Technology - Patrick Lin - Drone-Ethics Briefing: What a Leading Robot Expert Told the CIA - The Atlantic
- Drone industry releases ethics code - Washington Times
- The Drone Memo’s Origins - The Daily Beast
- White House Presses for Drone Rule Book - NYTimes.com
- Human Rights Groups to World: Ban Futuristic Killer Robots That Could Wreak Havoc | Alternet
- Ban ‘Killer Robots’ Before It’s Too Late | Human Rights Watch
- The Case Against Robots With License to Kill - Yahoo! News
- Drones kill first, ask later — RT
- Pentagon: A Human Will Always Decide When a Robot Kills You | Danger Room | Wired.com
- Doyle McManus: U.S. targeted killing program needs discussion - Los Angeles Times
- Civilian contractors playing key roles in U.S. drone operations - latimes.com
- International - Robert Wright - Do Obama's Drone Strikes Imperil America? - The Atlantic
- Do Drones Undermine Democracy? - NYTimes.com
- Drone race will ultimately lead to a sanitised factory of slaughter | World news | guardian.co.uk
- How Drones Help Al Qaeda | Common Dreams
- Predator Nation: How Endless Drone War Is Turning the Promise of America into a Promise of Death | | AlterNet
- Barbara Ehrenreich: 12,000 Drones, Lethal Cyborg Insects, See-Shoot Robots -- How Machines Are Taking Over War | World | AlterNet
- Robert Scheer: Hope Burning - Robert Scheer's Columns - Truthdig
- Why the Boosters of US Empire Swoon Over Killer Drones | World | AlterNet
- Cagle Post » Obama and Predator Drone